Logan Paul is facing the fallout after posting a video showing the body of an apparent suicide victim in Japan and is facing a flood of criticism after filming footage of the Japanese forest that has become known for suicides. During their walk around the forest, they found a body hanging from a tree that is a victim of an apparent suicide. He posted the footage online of the body with the face blurred and received an instant backlash. Youtube has cracked down on the disturbing content and says Wednesday it is removing popular American vlogger Logan Paul from its Google Preferred platform and putting future projects with him on hold, due to a violation of policies.
“In light of recent events, we have decided to remove Logan Paul’s channels from Google Preferred. Additionally, we will not feature Logan in season 4 of ‘Foursome’ and his new series ‘Originals’ are on hold,” Alphabet Inc. said in a statement about the video. Some say Paul should be banned from Youtube. Aaron Paul (no relation) tweeted “How dare you! You disgust me. I can’t believe so many young people look up to you.”
Youtube star Logan Paul apologized for apparent suicide victim and created a Youtube video titled “So Sorry” last week. He expressed remorse for posting the video that showed him and his friends laughing about the body they filmed hanging on a tree in Japan’s Mount Fiji. Paul took down the video of the footage after it was seen by millions and initially said it was meant to raise awareness about suicide. Mental health advocates say such images could actually be harmful. “Somebody watched the video and is experiencing distress, and this could escalate and if they are going through a difficult time, they should reach out for help,” states Kimberly Williams from the Mental Health Associations of NYC CEO.
YouTube claimed in an open letter on Tuesday that it was “upset by the video that was shared last week,” saying that, “suicide is not a joke, nor should it ever be a driving force for views.” Youtube prohibits violent or gory content posted in a shocking, sensational, or disrespectful manner. Paul states in his “So Sorry” video, “I am sorry, and I promise to be better. I am disappointed in myself.”
Paul, 22, is one of YouTube’s top content creators, regularly drawing millions of views from his mainly youth-orientated audience. Logan also had projects in the works with YouTube’s premium subscription service, YouTube Red, and appeared on the platform’s web series, “Foursome.”
Paul said he made a “huge mistake” and was ashamed of himself. He deleted the video shortly after posting it, due to the backlash he received. The company said that Logan’s video violated the guidelines and was looking at “further consequences.”
Youtube recently shared these tweets responding to the backlash of Paul’s video.
Replying to @YouTube
We expect more of the creators who build their community on @YouTube, as we’re sure you do too. The channel violated our community guidelines, we acted accordingly, and we are looking at further consequences.
It’s taken us a long time to respond, but we’ve been listening to everything you’ve been saying. We know that the actions of one creator can affect the entire community, so we’ll have more to share soon on steps we’re taking to ensure a video like this is never circulated again.
Paul has not posted any videos in the past week, saying he was “taking time to reflect.” His channel, Logan Paul Vlogs which has more than 15 million subscribers, is still active on Youtube.
Remember, help is always available. If you are feeling depressed or going through a hard time, talk to a trusted adult. If you are feeling suicidal and think nobody is there for you– If you think help is not an option and you can not open up to your parents, contact the National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-8255 which is available 24 hours a day. You can have an anonymous chat with them or call and they will talk to you if you feel no one else is there for you.
Suicide is never an option. Many, many people are depending on you and love you.